Shake away the funk
Definition of a funk: lack of motivation and low energy
Are you in a funk? Feeling a bit grumpy and disengaged from life in general? Persistent bad moods can absolutely lead to health problems. Do yourself a favor and seek out some healthy outlets for releasing depressive thoughts and squelching lack-luster activities.
8 Healthy ideas to shake yourself out of a funk
1. Go for a walk – I’m not talking about a marathon here. If you can only manage a walk around the block, you’ll be better for it. Exercise releases endorphins which will naturally make you feel happier. Be sure to take in some deep breaths; it will get the oxygen flowing to your brain.
2. Do a Random Act of Kindness – If you focus less on your issues and take time to make someone else’s day special, you will feel great afterwards.
3. Clear out the clutter – One of the quickest ways to generate mental energy is by throwing out useless things in your home and/ or organizing closets and drawers. This may sound like daunting work, but it is totally energizing once you see the finished product.
4. Try a new recipe – We all get in the habit of eating and preparing the same foods again and again. Why not try a new recipe? Get on the internet and find something cool to make. Maybe you won’t like it, but so what! Adopt an adventuresome spirit to invite a little fun in your day.
5. Do something out of your comfort zone – Don’t you love the idea of getting up in front of a group of people and singing? No? Does it intimidate you a little? Good. Run to the nearest karaoke club and sing a song…it’ll really get your adrenaline pumping.
6. Walk barefoot in the grass – Spending time with nature is great way to feel better. Put on your hiking boots and get lost for a couple hours near a babbling brook. Or, do some gardening. The sense of accomplishment will be immensely satisfying.
7. Watch a funny movie – Forgo the tear-jerkers and dramas at the theater this time around. You need a good belly-laugh to break that funk. You can do this from home or venture out alone to the movie– hey, this may cover the “do something out of your comfort zone” suggestion, too.
8. Pamper yourself – Do whatever it is that brings you the most joy. It might be indulging in a bubble bath, reading a good novel, or going out to get your hair styled…don’t you just love having your hair washed at the salon?
You deserve to feel great, so pick one of these suggestions and shake yourself out of this funk.